Thursday, July 16, 2009

Project 0 (and 1)

Project Zero

I can't seem to find the project name or pattern anymore but it's really not necessary. It's supposed to be a monster stuffed animal, but mostly it's my first attempt at knitting anything. Why project zero? Because he doesn't have eyes, a mouth, legs, or stuffing. I JUST mattress-stitched (about 3/4 of the way down the page under the sub-head "Finishing") him together two days ago. So, here he is in all his unfinished glory...

Unnamed monster 1 (glorious name, eh?)
























I need to crochet him some eyes. And hunt down my stuffing and shove it into him. And make him some i-cord (about 7/8 of the way down the page, after finishing) legs.




















Clearly, this was my first project. For some reason, I had NO idea how to tell when to knit and when to purl and I don't EVEN know what happened off to the left where I seemed to add a stitch? I also didn't know what a mattress stitch was (off to the left on the bottom, can you tell? LOL).

So, you may be wondering why I want to finish this little gem. You may be thinking this is a waste of yarn (oh yes, acrylic, worsted weight Red Heart). You may be just sitting in horror, staring at your computer screen, speechless! But know this, I love my imperfect little Unnamed Monster 1. He was my first project and will forever be my first project!

And now... (drum roll please)
Project 1

Just under one year after starting Unnamed Monster 1 (read: two weeks ago), my boyfriend's roommates had a baby (he will, from here on out be known as The Un-nephew).













I bought him that :D (It's a Fisher Price Ocean Wonders Soothe & Glow Seahorse) He's the cutest 2 week old EVER. He never had that wrinkled alien look.













He and the kitty (that's Coco) were very confused about each other at first. Also, cutest 1 week old ever.

ANYWAY, I fell madly in love with him from the moment I saw him and decided that I NEEDED to make him something. So I got Baby Knits for Beginners by Debbie Bliss from the library, and I made him a hat, or, more specifically, Simple Hat on page 72 of Baby Knits for Beginners.

This is where I learned about the mattress stitch, and how wonderful it is.

The hat is knitted in stockinette stitch, with a gentle roll round the rim. I used I Love This Yarn (an acrylic yarn from Hobby Lobby that is SOOOOFT) in some shade of gray (the package disappeared literally TODAY)



















And here's my version. It turned out quite well! Except...



















IT'S HUGE! With a little stretch, it fits my (giant) head! And it comfortably fits my brother's average sized head!

























And the dog!

After that, I decided not to give it to the Un-nephew, and make something else instead. And thus, my current knitting obsession has begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment